Is The Mirena Coil A Scam?

Over a week ago. I had the coil inserted in me. Why did I do this? Well, short answer is that the doctor’s recommended it to me. And you know, I trusted that the doctors were protecting me and looking out for my best interest. I’m starting to think this wasn’t the case.


I mean don’t get me wrong, I believe that it’s more than 99% effective and it last for five years. But what really bothered me was the lack of honesty about the side effects that there was. Whenever I read anything online; they were horror stories that made me think ‘nah it wouldn’t happen to me’ so I just shrugged. However, when I asked about the side effects I wasn’t really given any apart from ‘you may have some cramping’ they made it sound so pleasant.


Do you know what the doctor didn’t tell me?  The coil is the cheapest form of contraception only costing the NHS 90 pounds ... 

Do not get me wrong, I love to save some cash more than anyone…  But I shouldn’t have felt so pressured to do so. And I should have been told a lot more about the negative side of the coil and the negative impact it has brought on my life.



I just want to state; I’m not trying to persuade anyone not to get the coil. It does have amazing positives towards it and it has negatives just like anything does… But this is an honest account of my experience and if you don’t want to read any further I suggest you stop now.  


No?

You sure?

100%?

Are you actually ready?

Ok then.




 ‘Do you know much about this procedure?’ The doctor asked.


So I answered her honestly, and said that I didn’t really but I read a lot of horror stories on the internet and that now I was nervous and her reply which made me feel somewhat more comfortable was well ‘there’s always horror stories on the internet’.

The next thing I know; I’m lying on a bed with both feet in this contraception that keeps your legs wide apart. And you have some sort of tissue to cover yourself up. And then she measured my size.


In all honesty, that bit wasn’t bad. It was a bit uncomfortable but the best thing you can do is relax and just breathe slowly. The weird bit was when they numb your cervix, but if anything it just feels gross and slippery. And the incision itself is only 15 seconds and it’s just like an Ouchy which you get really warm (so you may want to ask your doctor to open a window beforehand because a lot of people feel faint when they get this warm).

You want to know where the worst pain starts? After the incision. The only easiest way I can describe it is like a really severe period pain. If you do decide to get the coil, I suggest you bring some sort of painkillers with you because these cramping pains get extremely worse and I wish I had known this and something sweet like a chocolate bar.



The doctor checked my blood pressure and said it was ok for me to go now. And I trusted it would get better, she did say it would die down but if anything it got much worse. So much worse. I sat down to go to the toilet, I couldn’t get up.



If anyone has ever experienced cramps where you were in pain all day and was unable to move from it, I am so sorry you have ever been through it because it’s abysmal. I’m not one for crying all day but that day I did. I just couldn’t move and what’s worse was I vomited and I couldn’t stop shaking. I had to spend the rest of the day in bed because it was that agonising.

Now when I read about people talking about the pain online, I thought it was over dramatic. It’s not. It is so much worse than a period. If you really want to get the coil done, make sure that you have nothing to do on that day because you will spend the day wanting to lie down, putting hot water bottle on you, drinking tea and tablets (this doesn’t make the pain go away – it eases it slightly but it hurts so badly). My emotions were out of balance, I kept crying over the most ridiculous things but I’m not sure if it was because of my progesterone levels or if it was because I was in physical pain and it was affecting my feelings.


Since, my concentration levels have dropped dramatically. I am constantly tired and teary; my cramps have died down slightly but not back to normal and when I am stressed or if I have over exercised it tends to hurt. I’ve gained excessive weight and my skin has gotten a lot greasier and spots have started to form. I find everything effort – I recently discovered that the coil and depression has a link which isn’t the best news when you started third year of uni.



 However, I am aware that my body is still adjusting.  But, did you know in 6 weeks’ time it might not even be there because it may fall out? (You don’t see that advertise) and it can just fall out any time. I can certainly say if it has fallen out then I will not be getting another one in. 

No comments