Helpful Hints For A Job Interview | ❤︎


You know those nights where you looked at your bank account and think ‘crap I need a job’. Then you spend all night, applying to job after job praying that someone will take pity on you and will hire you? And then a few days later...

BANG! 

You’ve got an interview and for the first 000.5 seconds that’s great; You are absolutely ecstatic but then here comes the panic.

Here comes the dread.

You end up googling tips for a job interview but some of the things they say are just so darn scary and in the end it makes you feel more frantic and panicked than before. This was me a week ago. I previously have worked in bars, but for the first time in my life I had an interview for a job that I really really wanted.

 Feeling nervous was an understatement.

However, a year ago my step mum was telling me about her job interview about the job which she is in now) and the conversation has always remained stuck in my head; she walked out of that interview thinking there was no way she got the job, she didn’t know the answers to 2- 3 questions! But what she did say was to think of it as a conversation and not to think of it as interview.

So a mix between my step mum’s advice and random google tips, I will tell you what worked for me! And hopefully make you feel more at ease: 😁

T I P  O N E : M A K E  N O T E S


The last thing you want to do is look unprepared. The night before your interview (so it stays fresh in your mind) go on their website and write some facts/figures/’what they are about down. When I went in. After the women introduced herself, she asked me almost immediately after if I had time to look at their websites and when I said I had a brief look and mentioned a few facts about their company. She smiled almost instantly and looked impressed. I wrote it down as it helps me remember – There are plenty of things you could do instead like record yourself with some facts and play it on your way there!

T I P  T W O  :  B E  B O L D   /   B E   H O N E S T


Employees are human too; all humans are flawed. And when the dreaded question of ‘What your biggest weakness is?’ Do not reply with some rubbish about being a perfectionist. It does not work, and it makes you look arrogant. Be real with Employees. Talk to them and find some way to connect with them outside the job. For example, the other person who interviewed me was Welsh as well! So we chatted really briefly about that. It allows them to know you a bit better; Also when you don’t know an answer, don’t just guess. Admit to it: Say, ‘I don’t know but I think..’ and if you are wrong it doesn’t matter They will most likely try and prompt the answer they are looking for out of you but it shows you have initiative.

T I P   T H R E E  :  H A N D S

This sounds weird, but for me I always talk with my hands! I cannot help it. I try and hold them but if I start explaining something, I just can’t help but use them. I have no control! So my advice is, whether your female or male is to make sure your finger nails are well groomed. And if you are going to wear nail polish, I recommend a neutral kind of colour and avoid anything which is neon (it shows immaturity). Employees will look at your hands (unless you keep them on your legs and they can’t see) and having looked after hands shows that you take good care of yourself.

T I P   F O U R  :   I M P R E S S I O N S


I think this is a pretty basic knowledge; but having a shower before an interview is a must/wear black trousers or skirt etc. If you wear make/up or not is up to you, it’s what makes you feel comfortable. However, if you do love wearing make up like myself, then have fun doing so but tone it down on eye-shadow colours; unless it’s an arty job it would show more of your creativity. I remember reading online that eyebrows can really change your face (providing you do it right) and can make you seem more ‘mature’. I don’t know how true that is, but it’s something that has stuck with me. Having my eyebrows on makes me feel more confident. Whatever that thing is for you, whether it’s eyeliner or lipstick or contouring. Do it. The more confident you feel; the better impression you will give off.

I  h o p e  t h a t   h e l p s   x o



No comments