Sex & Society: Should Women Really ‘Just Cover up’?

What about boys? I don’t want them getting any idea’s!


When my dad first saw me at eighteen with a short dress on with heels on before going out he explode; Just as many other dads’ would. But you see this was one of the first times his daughter wore anything revealing and instantly my dad panicked.  I make my dad sound like he’s controlling but honestly he’s not. He reacted like any other parent would.

 Society says that ‘girls should cover up otherwise they’re asking for it’. I hope that when you read that (whatever gender you may be) you feel extremely angry by it, it may be an outdated view but yet it still dominants the way people treat and speak about girls.

My fashion sense has changed drastically since I started uni, to now going in to my third year of uni. *Yikes*

Do you not have any casual skirts Hannah?’ In first year my housemate (who was also called Hannah coincidentally!)  was helping me decide what to wear before going out for some fresher event at the SU. In my head I automatically thought ‘Skirts? SKIRTS? WHAT IS THIS MADNESS?’. She looked at me bleak.  I generally replied to her saying ‘That I didn’t wear skirts because boys would whistle and I hated my legs’.


I look back at that and I think that’s absurd, how did I let the opinion of others control me so much? For anyone who knows me now, I love wearing skirts! I usually wear them more winter time than I do summer time. I don’t know why I adore the look of black think tights a skirt and a jumper but I do! It may be because that’s when it all started.

Living in the city taught me a lot about self-acceptance; Because honestly no-one gave a damn what I wore. No-one certainly didn’t give me a negative opinion about what I wore, if anything I found, other girls empowered each other and boys were somewhat more respective.
But when I came home, I realised the difference.

I wore my skirt one evening, (even my dad said I looked pretty, aww). By guys I was called a tease, a slut and made jokes about me bending over and so on. Other girls varied in their opinions and there were some childish remarks but once again looking back I realise how silly it was to let other people’s comments affect the way I felt about myself.
Remember these? 


Can you remember the time where everyone was wearing a bralette ? I mean L I T E R A L L Y  A L M O S T EVERY GIRL POSSIBLE? I honestly think this craze started when I was roughly 12/13. And hand on heart I can honestly say I never personally bought one because I never felt that I had the ‘right body’ too. Social media definitely had an effect on the way I saw myself. Negative post about body images tend to lurk around the internet and for a 13 year-old to see that ‘if you’re a size 12 you should stay away from crop tops’.

Today’s society, a lot of girls will stand up and have now taken ‘screw you photo’s’ and rocked them so hard. But back then, it wasn’t the case. 

Like Literally


I’ve always had big boobs ever since I was 12 but I always felt the need to cover them up, I mean I don’t want to be a tease, right? Once at work. Some guy who was hammered tried to grab my boob just because he thought ‘they were lovely’ and ‘wanted a squeeze’.  A part of me wanted to vomit inside and do you know what the most sickening thing was? It was when other boys and girls turned around and said ‘Well you shouldn’t have worn a low top, it’s basically asking for it!’ (How ridiculous.)

A few years ago, that comment would have made me feel like it was MY fault. But it was HIS actions, not mine. It was his issue. And my clothes or my body had no control of his actions. Wearing a vest top in work is not asking for a random drunk old guy to try and squeeze your boobs (like spew).

And that’s when I learnt, People shouldn’t control what you wear or how you feel about yourself. If you want to wear a skirt or a crop top or a burqa. It really does not matter.

That’s why I was super excited when I purchased 'Alia' Ribbed Choker Crop Top’ in Black  from Boutique of Molly .
Size: 12
£19.95


 I love the choker and I adore the ‘off the shoulder look’ and it’s extremely comfortable. When I wore it out Saturday, I had several comments about how ‘gorgeous’ this top is which was an added bonus. ( P.S. If purchase anything from BOM, If you use the code: HANN20  you will get 20% off. *Wink* *Wink*)


And it’s crazy to think a few years ago, I would have never purchased it because I would worry what other people thought? So who cares if belly isn’t flat? If my boobs are ‘too big?’ if my legs are ‘too short?’. It’s my body and I will dress it the way I want too, not the way that someone else tells you too. 

No comments